100g (4 oz) cobnuts whizzed finely in a food processor
2 large bundles watercress
2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 litre (1½) pints chicken stock
25g (1oz) butter
25g (1 oz) plain flour
100ml single cream
milk to thin, if required
- Pick over the watercress and discard the stalks.
- Boil all the ingredients except the butter, the flour and a small amount of watercress (for garnish) for about 15 minutes, then liquidize.
- Fry the flour in the butter for a few minutes, stirring all the time, then gradually add the liquidized mixture while stirring
- Bring to the boil, and thin with milk if required.
- Garnish with a little chopped watercress and a swirl of cream.