Roughway Originals Recipe: Carrot and cobnut muffins
An original muffin recipe made with our own tasty cobnuts
Make some delicious and healthier muffins with our Roughway Originals recipe. These muffins go back to basics. Lovely simple ingredients all mixed together to create little bundles of natural goodness. These muffins are also a great recipe if you have carrots that need eating and so a good one for stopping food waste.
• 150g wholemeal plain flour
• 80g all-bran cereal
• 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
• 50g cobnuts, toasted and chopped (you will add these after the mix has rested)
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 140ml milk
• 110ml yoghurt
• 70ml runny honey
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 heaped teaspoon, mixed spice
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• Pinch of salt
- Place the flour, salt, bran, baking powder, bicarb and spice mix into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, milk, yoghurt, honey and oil together.
- Add the grated carrot and chopped cobnuts to the wet mixture.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the flour bowl and mix together well.
- Leave the mix in the fridge overnight ready for the morning or for at least 3-4 hours.
- When ready to use remove from the fridge and add the chopped toasted cobnuts to the mix.
- Spoon the mix into the muffin cases until they are about ¾ full.
- Bake for around 20-25 or until they have domed nicely in the middle and a skewer comes out clean.
- Brush with a little honey whilst warm to give a glossy finish.
- You can sprinkle a few chopped cobnuts on each one.
Roughway Farm Originals have been made in collaboration with Julie Friend, BBC MasterChef Winner 1997. Find out more in our video below!