Roughway Originals: Wild garlic and cobnut Pesto
An original recipe made from our own tasty produce
Pesto is a fabulous sauce / accompaniment and is incredibly versatile. This cobnut pesto adds something really special to any dish and its use of wild garlic makes it all the more fresh and delicious.
Use this cobnut pesto to make a refreshing pasta dish with fresh asparagus. Perfect for entertaining and for weekly meal preparation. Or use as a dip for crusty bread or thinned down with a little white wine vinegar as a delicious vinaigrette. The possibilities are endless!
Makes one jar
• 100g wild garlic leaves
• 50g parmesan cheese, grated
• 50g toasted cob nuts (skin on is fine or toast and rub off as much as you’d like)
• 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil plus a little more to get correct consistency
• Squeeze lemon juice
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash wild garlic leaves thoroughly and drain dry.
2. Place the leaves, parmesan, olive oil and nuts into a food processor and blitz.
3. You could also do this with a pestle and mortar if you want to be more traditional or a stick blender in a mixing jug also works.
4. Add further oil if you wish to have a thinner texture and mix.
5. Add in your salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
6. Store in a sterilised jar in the fridge ensuring that the top of the pesto is always covered with a thin layer of oil to prevent any mould forming.
Use as sauce on pasta, a dip for crusty bread or thinned down with a little white wine vinegar as a delicious vinaigrette.
Roughway Farm Originals have been made in collaboration with Julie Friend, BBC MasterChef Winner 1997. Find out more in our video below!